Author Topic: Casso the Flipseat  (Read 21666 times)

Offline shelltoes

• Administrator
  • Down with the SBS
Re: Casso the Flipseat
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
Is it the nine prong relay?
I have that on my 67 and it does everything you say plus more.
You need a 67 only emergency/hazard switch i think. Or maybe a very early bay?

My one has not exactly been plain sailing i have been through two repros, but everything is good now.

Gez.
Cosmic Addiction.
SBS UK # 29

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
Is it the nine prong relay?
I have that on my 67 and it does everything you say plus more.
You need a 67 only emergency/hazard switch i think. Or maybe a very early bay?

My one has not exactly been plain sailing i have been through two repros, but everything is good now.

Ended up ordering WW ones from Concept1. I have all the relay i need now (finally!) and it was kinda cheap i think (like 30$ total)

Received my last order friday, and took some time off family to work on the bus... lets say it been awhile.

So what i accomplished ;
- installed new rear trans mount. Need to replace the front one, because i think its toasted which would explain why the tranny is about 1/2 inches too far back.

- installed the new drag link. I think there's still quite alot of play on the steering, i'll have to get a second opinion on that. I'm not sure what is considered play. When i turn the wheel a bit, t here's no resistance, but the wheel turn, then about 1/8 turn later, t here's resistance and the wheel, well, turn.

Still left to install ;
- Speedo. Most bulb socket were screwed, so i ordered a few new one.
- acceleration cable, because mine seems to be made out of something very, very flimsy.
- Shift Coupler. Yeah, surprised? i'm not..
- Engine mount bolt, because a kit was available, and i didnt want to have to search forever to find the correct one.
- Apron rear hardware kit. Same thing. I'll finally see if my Apron fits or not.

Someone's coming next saturday to help me out. I'd really really like to get the engine in and connected. Just that would be quite an accomplishment. But i doubt i'll get that far. I might also just try and remove the transmission to see what the hell is up with that.
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »
FUCK YEAH!

Found a complete drum to drum straight axle kit for my bus CHEAP!

At least its ass gonna be draggin' for now.
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline raiz

• -=HIT SQUAD=-
  • Down with the SBS
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Yeah boi!   Bring it! 8)

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:00 AM »
Everything arrived today. Wife said the fedex guy looked like a total ass trying to carry the boxes.

Everything is there. All i need is new boots and put it back together.... the guy even gave me two seal kit for the axle.

Now my goal :

- Finish removing the old tranny.
- Put back together the transmission.
Then either i install the engine, fix the hand brake, and move it outside on its power, or i fix the metal above the engine (the logical choice) THEN install everything.

At least now its getting motivating!
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline G-wood Todd

• **SBS Family - FNG**
  • Down with the SBS
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2017, 08:04:09 PM »
I say drive it before you fix the metal. That'll keep the momentum going. You'll also end up with a grin from ear to ear that you won't be able will off.

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
I say drive it before you fix the metal. That'll keep the momentum going. You'll also end up with a grin from ear to ear that you won't be able will off.
its cheese tho, not sure how safe it is. Hell, i wonder if i could get away with some fiberglass repairs above it for now...

But I been pondering all day on this, and i think i'll try to make the stamping around the opening, and use a straight sheet metal for the rest.

While on the subject of... well, my bus (!... ?), last night i unpacked everything i got...

Bough everything from a thesamba user named "1969" in Ontario (canada). Everything was so well packaged, i'm still amazed how good the transaction was. I mean, i got more picture out of this than i got from the Bus's seller....

Transmission has 8k km, and only 2 or 3 chips overall. It's almost too nice...

Straight axle. Even the rubber thingy for not bottoming out are like new. All it needs is some seal at the end of the axle (which the PO provided) and new boots...

Spring plates are weird. I feel like they are quite long (?), at least compared to those people sell... maybe its just because i have those in hand...

Sadly, the tranny spent the last few bucks i had saved, so now i can't get new big stuff... (thank god i didnt have to wait to get 2k$ for a new kit).

Next order from cip1 looks like ;
Boots
solid Brake line
Soft brake line (not even sure they have those)
handbrake cable (which length would i need for this?)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:35:04 PM by Enkiel »
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2017, 01:49:35 AM »
So yeah, spending all day thinking about repair (and doing really little work), when i got home i got into the repair.

Painting over what i wanted to repair really helped giving me a good idea of what i wanted to cut.

The repair "panel" kinda sucks, but i don't have that much "high end" tool beside a welder so i did the best i could.

After that i cut the white, but forgot to take pictures. Hopefully tomorrow i'll start welding it into place, and look at the other hole there is. It's not a pretty job for sure, but its better than swiss cheese!
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »
Today was a good day.

The inlaws took my two youngest, and my oldest went to her friend, so i was all alone for a whole 3 hours! Spend some time finishing trimming (and failing again to cut a straight line).

After over 3 hours, i managed to weld everything correctly, and even went as far as filling around the door latch.

Now that this is done, i have to decide what i'll do with the rest... what you guys think?
1- Weld small patch (basically the square drawn)
2- Weld in a large patch that replace pretty much everything.

1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2017, 12:53:48 AM »
Today i spent a good 3 hours cleaning up the metal above the engine.... well, by cleaning, i mean removing the whole thing.

Definately can't change my mind now. I'm kind of happy tho, i been pushing that repair for so long, it was about time.

I went and got myself some 16ga metal to put there. It's not gonna be stamped like OG, but at least its gonna be solid, which is my main goal right now.

Also, i removed the spare tire, and wont replace it. Since its gonna be a camper, its gonna be more use to have the full width.

1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:15 AM »
I did some "repair" to the hole, but ended up short on time, and had people home last saturday to help me out... sooooooo...

Tranny is out :D

It's crazy how something that simple can take that long when you never done it before, and have no clue... But in the end it came out. I really really wish i could clean this up with a sandblast, but i failed to find any to rent, and there's no way i'll purchase everything needed for it.... so i'm kinda stuck rolling with an ugly engine bay for now...

Torsion bar.... are out?

When we started pulling the spring plate, i forgot to ask the guys to keep the torsion bar in... so now i do no have any way to put them exactly like they were... is this gonna be an issue?

Also, when i removed them , i noticed they were rusted in some place. Nothing major, some minor piting... a worry?

What do you guys recommend doing now before installing the new springplate and everything? Should i bother trying to clean the hole where the torsion bar goes? Should i clean and paint them? Should i... replace them? (i hope not, i think those are expensive).

Next goal is to get the tranny back in one piece and ready for install.
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
well, this sucks.

spent most of sunday reassembling my transmission and the axle...

Everything went OK following this image ;

Did face a problem tho. On one side, everything seems perfect ;

On the other side tho, somethings seem out of whack....

I think i did place everything back into place in the right order. The odd thing too, is that the end of the axle tube and the cover are pretty much sitting perfectly to each other, so i really don't know...
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline Enkiel

• Down with the SBS
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
Went ahead and installed the transmission back into the bus. Without even load on the rear axle (ass still up on the jack), i can already see just how freaking low its gonna be... love it.

Compared to the nosebleed height my so42 was, its definately quite a change.

Now i need to fix the driver side to the spring plate, adjust everything, and get new rubber to get an idea just how low i'm really gonna be.

Then, figure out what i'll do with the front... Kinda wish i could get away without a shortened beam. I'm obviously considering flipped spindle... eventually.
1963½ Turkis Flipseat

Offline DubStyle

• El Hefe
  • Administrator
  • Down with the SBS
    • http://www.the-sbs.com
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
Keep on keeping on. It will be worth it when you get to drive it.
Anthony

SBS #1
1962 Ragtop - yes a bus